Friday, October 26, 2012

Initial Reflection


April 10th, 2012




Writing this kind of reflection is never easy for me, but I will try and do my best.

As for the first item, I must say my personal goals are related more specifically to learning about ESP. I have always heard about it, but never been a student in an ESP class, let alone a teacher. I get the impression that ESP teaching is an interesting job, with career prospects and job opportunities, and that, once I have had the proper training and gained enough experience, it would suit me very well. What is more, it seems likely that people who take up ESP lessons are old and personally motivated enough to make an effort to learn English, or at least more so than kids and teenagers for whom studying the language is not a personal choice.
On the other hand, material design is not something I am very fond of and not something I find easy to do, in all honesty. So another personal challenge (and goal) I take up is to learn how to go about it in the hope that it will become easier for me and, in being easier, it will also be something I enjoy more than I do at present.
Regarding TEYL, I am interested in acquiring and learning some strategies to teach children in a way that is appealing to them. Even though I have taught English to many kids, I still do not quite get the grasp of how to make them enjoy the process of learning, and that is something I need to become familiar and comfortable with.

Moving on to my perceived strengths as a teacher, there are a few. First, I am patient with students, and even when I am frustrated, angry, or disappointed at them, I never let up or give up on them, and keep trying to help them develop English skills and to grow as person. Second, I constantly try to improve as a teacher and as a person myself, and I try, too, not to be to complacent with my abilities as a teacher. I am always trying to learn from other teachers and my students, and I try to be humble enough to acknowledge my flaws and mistakes. Finally, I also make an effort to become involved (in a healthy way) with my students' lives, so that I can not only teach them, but also create bonds with them in a way that will help them grow from every aspect.

Weaknesses, I have many, as well. To begin with, I found that I sometimes seem to harsh to my students because I do not control the tone of my voice. I have been told a few times that, unknowingly to me, my voice seems to be a bit authoritarian and tough, when it is completely unnecessary. Not knowing how to include creative ideas in my teaching is also a difficulty I have. Very often I come up with ideas that I think would be nice to incorporate in the classroom, but then I never seem to find the time to give them a proper shape and make them fit in my teaching, and instead, I get stuck with doing the same thing every class. Finally - and I think this is my major weakness as a teacher – it very usually happens to me that if students are not being enthusiastic and are tired and unwilling to work, their emotions become contagious and it is almost impossible for to try to be active or enthusiastic myself!

To work on that problem, this year I will attempt to remind myself of this difficulty at the beginning of each class and learn how to deal with students' moods in a way that, without creating an unwanted response (such as them getting angry at me for being "phonyly" perky or chipper), I can manage to keep my good spirits and hopefully "infect" them with "good vibes." I think I could also make sure that I devote some time to preparing special activities for those days in which students are not at full speed, so that I am ready to deal with the situation in a way that is productive for both me and the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment