Friday, October 26, 2012

Final Reflection


November 26th, 2012

FINAL Reflection

Reading my initial reflection was quite funny, because I honestly had no idea what I had written! I had forgotten about the goals I set up for myself. In relation to these, one was learning about ESP. I must say I actually learned a lot about the field. Of course, I learned about “theory”, and not so much practice, but that is the way things are due to time constraints. I had never thought about such things as needs analysis, a reading-only focus, or the significant differences that actually exist between General English and English for Specific Purposes. At the same time, the wide range of approaches for course design and class teaching is something I was not so acquainted with, and in all honesty, my mind has been broadened as to the possibilities there exist for teaching English. Just to epitomize what I am saying, I love the rationale behind the task-based approach and the different possibilities that framework materials open up, and I had never heard of these things before.

Another goal I had set for myself was to get the hang of materials development, in the hope that that would make me better at the task and help me enjoy it. I cannot really say that I achieved this objective. I think the second term was really quite very hectic, and I had to carry out so the materials design tasks in quite a hurry. Probably because I could not really get my head all that much in the process, I do not feel that I have really learned what I hoped I would. Still, I was able to get an idea of how complicated the process is, what many aspects must be considered, and much time is needed.

A third aim I wanted to accomplish was to become aware of more tools or strategies that might make TEYL classes more appealing to students. This I definitely learned. In class, we were able to share myriad ideas that I would have never thought of or that I did not think worked. My mind opened up to new strategies, games, how to manage the kids and the like.

Now that I think about it, this has been a year of learning about different possibilities and enlarging my perspectives. Every new possibility that opened up in class or reading the class materials prompted an idea in my head that led me to coming up with more creative was of teaching. The challenge once I start to work will be to see whether they work and how to apply them.

As for the weakness I had acknowledged in the final reflection, the truth is I did not have the chance to teach any classes this year, so I did not have the opportunity to see how I could manage them.

Finally, I think I managed to broaden my mind this year and tap into my creativity. I became aware of the potential for creativity I have within myself. I must strive, from now on, to exploit it and be brave enough to always try new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment